Get Started Using the RCCL
A Better Website Building Experience
Use the links below to get started using the Rutgers Core Component Library (RCCL).
Required for all RCCL-based projects: Provided by University Communications and Marketing, this demo provides an overview of the RCCL's design and functional benefits. We'll also discuss your own project and next steps.
The following two Communications Policies and Guidelines courses, and the Tutorial on Annual Website Certification process are required for internal website owners, editors, and technical leads. Outside vendors may access these courses if they have a guest Rutgers NetID.
On the Canvas site, watch and take the quiz for each video module.
(NetID login required for Canvas learning platform access.)
Module 1: University Visual Identity
Learn about how to use the university's visual identity system to benefit your unit.
- Time: 10-15 minutes
- Format: Web-based
- Cost: Free for Rutgers Units
Module 7: University Website Policy: Understand the university's website policies and best practices to better serve university audiences.
- Time: 10-15 minutes
- Format: Web-based
- Cost: Free for Rutgers Units
Website Certification Tutorial (See Guidelines & Best Practices): Understand how to certify your website annually in adherence with University Website Policy
- All web developers using the RCCL, must:
- Provide administrative and end-user training for the RCCL and any new components and any third-party tools needed to maintain the website.
- Submit prior to planned modifications or extensions of the RCCL information detailing technical and/or design changes in writing to the Component Library Working Group via the New Feature Form: rccldemo.rutgers.edu/new-features.
- Provide full technical and end-user documentation for modifications and extensions to the RCCL by contacting the working group webdev team via the New Feature Form: rccldemo.rutgers.edu/new-features.
- Accept the component library repository for use as-is except for bugs.
- Use the Rutgers Core Component Library in a manner that is consistent with its intended use.
- If the user is affiliated with Rutgers University-New Brunswick or Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS), obtain a project review from R-Comm office, https://newbrunswick.rutgers.edu/RComm.
- Accept full responsibility for modifications or changes.
- Don't replicate the unique top-most homepage components of others without express written consent from the website owner.
- Become a member of the RCCL-Drupal User Group (Rutgers Microsoft Teams Group).
- Contribute best-in-class components or functionality back to the Rutgers Core Component Library.
- Maintain user accessibility in accordance with university guidelines.
- All web developers using the RCCL, must:
RCCL code may be obtained via Rutgers Gitlab by taking the necessary steps.
Access may only be requested for a specific project. Only contracted vendors may obtain access. Before access is granted to the repo, the website owner (Rutgers unit leads) and developers must complete the requirements.
- Gitlab requester must have a Rutgers NetID or Guest NetID. Vendors may apply for a Guest Net ID with the sponsorship of the department they are working with.
- User must have and be on the Rutgers VPN Access
- Lead unit's website owner/editor must meet RCCL Access requirements, including:
- Complete a demo review with University Communications and Marketing.
- Website owner, main editors, and technical lead(s) must take the website policy and visual policy courses and quiz. Each on-demand video course is about 15-20 minutes. Learn more RCCLdemo.rutgers.edu/getting-started.
Once the above requirements are met, the website developer can follow these steps to request codebase access.
Submit RCCL Access Request
- Send email to email@example.com
Email must include:
- Subject: Grant RCCL Codebase Access
- Your name (person or persons) need gitlab access
- Rutgers NetID for all
- Rutgers email for all
- Company email addresses for all
- Company name
- Phone number
- Website project unit owner (Rutgers unit lead)
- Rutgers Department/Unit/Program
- Project URL
UCM Will Grant Gitlab Access
After receiving your request, the Department of University Communications and Marketing will invite you to the Rutgers Gitlab:
- Sign on the Rutgers VPN
- Go to https://gitlab.rutgers.edu/users/sign_in
- Click on the
"Sign in with cas" button
- Once in configure your ssh keys
- At this point he should have access to the repose
- UCM will grant access to gitlab directories:/drupal/profiles/rutgers-core/drupal/modules/dp_twig_helper/drupal/modules/dp_pattern_lab_loader
- Developers must clone the repositories.
Developers should access Installation and Configuration Instructions (Teams Document).
RCCL users will benefit by joining the Rutgers Core Component Library - Drupal User Group Team website, regardless of your use of Drupal. Access user guides and training material, post questions, and receive updates about the RCCL. Access to a private channel will be set up for your RCCL project. Members of the university who are not using the RCCL are also invited to join this community of website owners, managers, and enthusiasts.
Join the Drupal User Group Team
(Rutgers NetID/Connect Account Required, Opens Microsoft Teams.)
Rutgers employees already have NetIDs. Contracted vendors must secure the following credentials and accounts in order to access Rutgers Network-based tools, including the VPN and Rutgers Gitlab.
#1: Obtain a Guest NetID
In order to access the installation files in GitLab, website technical administrators must have a Rutgers NetID. See the information provided to sign-up for a Rutgers Guest NetID. Only vendors under contract may have Guest NetID access.
Note: The Rutgers unit with whom the vendor is contracted must provide a sponsor name and Rutgers email (via Connect) that the vendor must include and use to request code access (see step below). For assistance, contact your unit's computing specialist as needed.
#2 Rutgers Email address
Website developers, including external contractors, must have a Rutgers email address (Rutgers Connect email) in order to have access to Office 365 Teams - Rutgers Website User Group access. Please work with the unit you are working with to obtain a Rutgers-based email address. Please note that you can access your email via https://connect.rutgers.edu. You do not have to be on VPN in order to access this email. Note: It is prohibited by the university forward this email to an outside account. For assistance, contact your unit's computing specialist as needed.
#3 VPN Access
Rutgers Gitlab is only accessible by being on Rutgers Virtual Private network. First, obtain your NetID, and then follow the steps listed here to access the VPN: https://soc.rutgers.edu/vpn/. For assistance, contact your unit's computing specialist as needed.
Consider your team, which must include:
- Drupal Website Developer
- Content Producer
- Graphics or video creation and/or research
Note: Units affiliated with Rutgers-New Brunswick or RBHS schools, departments, or institutions may have website hosting requirements. For details, New Brunswick and RBHS-affiliated units should contact, R-Comm: Kat Nathan, firstname.lastname@example.org or Marsha Samual, email@example.com.
Additional team roles to consider are:
- Project Manager
- Technical Lead
- Server Administrator
- Information Architect
- Photo and image research and editor
- Website Designer (if developing new component designs)
Website hosting is required for any website.
- Units must secure web-hosting services, either cloud-based or on-premises servers. Rutgers Office of Information Technology offers website hosting, and check with your school or unit's central communications office or IT department to see if it offers website-hosting.
- Units affiliated with Rutgers-New Brunswick and Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences must follow requirements established by the Office of Rutgers Communications who has selected Pantheon as its preferred web-hosting provider.
Rutgers OIT Pantheon Website Hosting
- Provided through Rutgers Office of Information Technology (OIT) Website Consulting Services, Pantheon's fee-based cloud hosting may include the following, as needed:
- One-time setup fee
- NetID integration fee
- Annual administrative fee
- Hosting fee: Starting at $25 up to $2,083+/month (as of 10/20/2021)
- For advanced plans, the annual Advanced Global CDN (Content Delivery Network) fee
- Optional: Website maintenance contract, for ongoing support (pre-paid fee with minimum hourly requirement)
- Pantheon hosting is based on:
- Monthly visits (For more information on how pageviews are counted, please refer to Pantheon’s Traffic Metrics. Your Pantheon Site Dashboard includes site traffic, measured against your plan.)
- Number of custom/vanity domains
View Pantheon hosting features
(The pricing on Pantheon's page does not apply to university units that contract through Rutgers OIT. For university-rate pricing, contact Rutgers OIT Website Consulting Services for enterprisewide pricing.)
The RCCL requires that videos are hosted via YouTube or Vimeo, both cloud-based hosting sites.
To display or use videos with sound on your RCCL site, simply use a link from YouTube to add your video to the "Media Library", using the Import from Media Library button on available component editor, such as in Rich Text or Full HTML component. You can also use the embed code generated by YouTube to embed into Rich Text or Full HTML components. To do so, first click on the "Source" button in the CKeditor and then paste your embed code in the page. You may not see the full video in the editor, but you will see a yellow outline and an "Edit Media" tab. Hit save. See the Rich Text Component for more details.
The website owner must go to this website and purchase a license. You can only use Vimeo Pro or higher to play ambient video in the RCCL. In order to play ambient video in various select components, you must have a Vimeo account with the “Pro” level or higher. https://vimeo.com/professionals?vcid=33590&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-KDs7byK7QIVGYnICh2BBAlfEAAYASACEgIjJfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#pricing
The website owner must go to this website and purchase a license. Curator.io, https://curator.io/, is used to feed the social media component. A Curator IO account must be licensed by the website owner. You must have the business level or above.
You can use any analytics tool that you prefer. However, if you are using Google Analytics DO NOT put code into the header of each page of the site. The RCCL includes a Google Tag Manager module that must be used, if you are using Google Analytics. Instructions for installing and configuring this code are in the Installation and Configuration Guide available for download. See the RCCL Documentation page to download the Installation and Configuration guide.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Google Maps API is used to display the maps as part of the Events CT. The map displays an editor adds an “address” to an event. To obtain the Google Map API Key complete the form below:
The RCCL provides for the use of Google Search, which is the search tool used by Rutgers OIT. Rutgers OIT office provides access to the university’s non-profit Google Search tool. Units may integrate a different preferred tool.
Rutgers OIT has the capability to create ad-free Google search engines through the ScarletMail platform. Google's NOads search product, Programmable Search Engine (PSE) was formerly known as Custom Search Engine (CSE). For most purposes the names are interchangeable so please don't be alarmed by CSE references.
Important Note: Requestor must have a scarletmail email address. To set up a scarletmail address:
Go to https://netid.rutgers.edu and select Service Activation.
Login with your NetID and select ScarletApps, including ScarletMail.
Then select Activate Services at the bottom of the page.